If you like listening to podcasts or audiobooks at an accelerated speed, then you’ll probably know that most podcast apps and audiobook apps allow you to listen to speeds of up to 3x that which was recorded, sometimes even higher. Video apps don’t make this as easy. While Youtube has a speed controller, it’s hidden and cumbersome to turn on.
In this episode, I’ll share three tools that allow you to speed up most videos, so that you can watch them in a fraction of the time that they’d take at recorded speed. These tools are all Chrome extensions – ideo Speed Controller, Enhancer for YouTube and Vimeo repeat & speed
Listen to the podcast to learn more.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes – Tools; Speed Listening and Viewing
Video Speed Controller
- Video Speed Controler allows you to speed up, slow down and rewind any HTML5 audio or video with shortcuts or a mouse control panel. That means most videos or audio files you’ll find on a web page.
- Once the extension is installed in your Chrome browser from the Chrome Web store, simply navigate to any page that offers HTML5 video, and you’ll see a speed indicator in top left corner of the video player. Hover over the indicator to reveal the controls to accelerate, slowdown, or rewind the video or you can use your keyboard.
Enhancer for YouTube
- Enhancer for YouTube is an app specific to YouTube, that offers many features beyond Video Speed Controller. Apart from the speed control features, these include the ability to manage ads as you wish, control the playback speed and the volume level with the mouse wheel, automate repetitive tasks such as selecting the appropriate playback quality and much more.
Vimeo Repeat & Speed
- Videos that are served from Vimeo as the host, won’t react to the last two tools, hence I’ve also added to my Chrome extensions, Vimeo Repeat & Speed, a simple extension that adds 2 buttons to the Vimeo player – one button that controls the speed and another that allows repeating the video automatically.
Those are our featured tools for today – two apps to record quick videos of your screen and camera. Try both free versions and see which you like best and let me know! There are many others available too, you
With these three tools, you’ll be able to watch and listen to most videos and audio in your Chrome-based browser at faster speeds than recorded and hence save quite a bit of time. For most videos (and audio) I can now listen to between 1.8 and 2.0 times the recorded speed and still understand everything that is being said, as well as comprehend the information. I’m working to increase that, to improve the amount of information I can take in in a given time.
I’d love to hear how fast you can listen and watch. Try it out on this podcast episode – in the audio or video version, and let me know.
My mission is to do Good Marketing, to make marketing Human, to make marketing a FORCE for GOOD – characterized by service, empathy, transparency and to make a meaningful difference to the people we care about AND to their customers too
Thank you for coming on this journey of Marketing Transformation with me. Let’s make marketing human again.
Watch the video
- Video Speed Controller
- Enhancer for YouTube
- Vimeo Repeat & Speed
- Tales of Marketing Transformation Facebook Group – Join the Community here (Free but Priceless!)
- The InnovaBuzz Podcast – our other podcast on Innovation and Marketing, with awesome guests each week.