Recently I had the privilege of being a guest on Miha Matlievki’s LinkedIn Live show – Coffee Conversations with Miha, to talk about making podcasting human again. I thought that was such a valuable conversation that I’d take some tidbits from it and share them in this episode.
In this conversation with Miha, we talk about the mindset you need to succeed in podcasting. We talked about connecting with your host if you are the guest, with the guest if you are a podcast host, and with the audience. We talked about knowing your ideal audience, who you can help with your message, and we talked about growing your podcast audience.
Listen to the PodcastPodcasting is a conversation. You are there to give your audience value. If you have a message that can help them, then, it is your obligation to share it with them. @TalesofMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
Show Notes – Making Podcasting Human
- There’s a lot more that goes into podcasting other than the technology and equipment, including building connections with your audience, identifying the right audience, having the mindset of showing up to serve that audience, and delivering value in each episode.
- Being a guest on other people’s podcasts is a great way to explore if podcasting is right for you.
- As a podcast host, remember that 80% of the stage should belong to your guest.
- Dig deeper into the conversation that you are having with your guest.
- You can’t change the world with just one episode, but there are so many things you know that other people will find interesting.
- There’s so much content that can add value into somebody else’s world. It could be a tool you are using or a little trick that you do to make things easier for yourself. It could be a mindset thing that can help another person. These things that you already know can add enormous value to their world.
- Every time you think of a story that makes them laugh or a story that inspires you , write that down and build an episode around that because it is something that can add value to another person.
- Podcasting is a conversation. You are there to give your audience value. If you have a message that can help them, then, it is your obligation to share it with them.
- Focus on the value you are giving to your audience. Your audience doesn’t care if your voice sounds raspy or if your make up is not right. What they care about is the knowledge you are sharing.
- Stop making your podcast guest pitch all about you. Make sure that you are also pitching information and content that will be valuable to both the host and their audience.
- The first step is to get clear on who your dream audience is that you want to get in front of. Then, begin identifying podcasts that serve that audience and start building a relationship with the podcast host. Reach out to them to have a conversation. Commenting on the host’s podcast is a great way to do that.
- Be genuine. Don’t just say you’re a big fan of their show, if you haven’t really listened to any of their episodes. People can sense if your pitch is not genuine and it puts a barrier up straight away to the relationship.
- Really get to know who your ideal audience is – their behaviours, beliefs, and values, to really understand where they might be wanting some help, where they are looking for more information, and how you can match that with your message. Think about the information that underpins your message and how you can emphasise it for that particular audience.
- Podcasting is a long game. It’s all about quality and consistency in providing value to the right people that will ultimately lead to that audience growing.
I hope you enjoyed that conversation and got value from it. As I said in the discussion with Miha – if you are just starting to explore podcasting as a way of getting your message in front of an audience that cares, connect with some experienced podcasters and be a guest on their show. You’ll quickly learn whether you like podcasting as a medium and how it works for you. If the experience is a good one, then and only then, invest the time and energy in starting your own podcast.
My mission is to do Good Marketing, to make marketing Human, to make marketing a FORCE for GOOD – characterized by service, empathy, transparency and to make a meaningful difference to the people we care about AND to their customers too
Thank you for coming on this journey of Marketing Transformation with me. Let’s make marketing human again.Podcasting is a long game. It’s all about quality and consistency in providing value to the right people that will ultimately lead to that audience growing.@TalesofMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
Watch the video
- Coffee Conversations with Miha
- Website – Miha Matlievski
- LinkedIn – Miha Matlievski
- Become a Podcast Rockstar – audio course
- Podcast Guesting Playbook
- Tales of Marketing Transformation Facebook Group – Join the Community here (Free but Priceless!)
- The InnovaBuzz Podcast – our other podcast on Innovation and Marketing, with awesome guests each week.