Are you really clear on who your dream client is?
In the last episode, we learned about our Lighthouse and the four pillars of our business – our Who, our Why, our What and our How. Now that we have clarity on the foundation – the Lighthouse of our business, it’s time to consider who we are shining the light for. Who is it that we are serving?
That’s our dream customer, our ideal customer. To build visibility with those potential dream clients, establish your professional credibility and build a deep connection with your dream clients, you must have absolute clarity about who your dream clients are and how you help them.
Listen to the podcast to learn more.
Listen to the PodcastA dream client is an ideal customer you attract to do business with you. They like doing business with you because they see you as being a perfect match for the problem they want to get solved. @TalesMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
Show Notes – Getting to Know Your Dream Client
A dream client is an ideal customer you attract to do business with you. They like doing business with you because they see you as being a perfect match for the problem they want to get solved. Your dream client will “hang around”. They will be loyal and spend more money with you because they know that you deliver exactly what they want and/or need.
- Think back to your current and previous clients. Who have you enjoyed working with the most? Who have you got the best results for? Who were you crazy excited to work with? What about the ones you didn’t enjoy working with? Why weren’t they dream clients?
- When you know your dream client, you’ll know how you can serve them with conviction and excellence and how you can craft a message that will attract their interest and attention.
- You may still attract some other clients, but the important thing to remember is you do not need to pursue the non-ideal clients. Your efforts can instead be focused on the market that loves you, wants what you have, and is willing to pay for it. You have a choice!
- The more clearly you understand the desires, the fears, the frustrations, the wants, the aspirations and the personalities of the people who you are best placed to serve, the more focused and effective your marketing can be.
Your Dream Client Worksheet
Click here to get access to the Dream Client Worksheet.
You can use it to build a deeper understanding of your target market and dream client. The beauty of this worksheet is that you can revisit it regularly to keep adding to the depth of your knowledge of your dream client and target market.
This exercise involves asking some insightful questions, that may require you to speak with your current dream clients to learn more. Some of the questions are:
- What are her innermost desires? What are her ambitions? What are her goals? What does she truly want to achieve? How will she know when she has that?
- What does she need help with? What resources does she need? What ideas does she need? What assistance does she need? What problems does she encounter?
- What does she value? What’s important to her? What are some of her most dearly held beliefs? And what does she believe, that you don’t?
- Who are her friends? What types of offers is she exposed to? Who influences her? Which channels are influential? Who inspires her? Who are her mentors?
- What is she worried about? What does she fear?
- What is her worst case scenario? Where does she face uncertainty? What are her biggest frustrations? Which risks might she be taking?
- What is really important to her? What moves her?
- What’s her attitude? What does she tell others?
- What’s her communication style?
- Who is her ideal client?
To quote Seth Godin, “Find the smallest audience you can live with and delight them, focus on them and obsess over them!” The result will be amazing – you are going to grow your business, you’re going to have more impact.
Once you’ve done the dream client worksheet, then head on over to Episode 9, and complete the Empathy Mapping Exercise that’s described there. Download a copy of our Empathy Mapping template from the show notes page there and work your way through the questions for each section.
I encourage you to draw the answers. If you are game, record yourself explaining your Empathy Map and send it to me. I’d love to learn about your dream client and am happy to jump on a call to hear more. Even if you don’t send it to me, explain your Empathy Map drawing to a trusted person, and record your explanation. I’m convinced you’ll find that really helps you articulate a clear description of your dream client, and deepen your understanding. Of course, where your answers to questions were “I don’t know”, speak to your favourite clients and find out! Have fun with this!The more clearly you understand the desires, fears, and aspirations of the people who you are best placed to serve, the more focused and effective your marketing can be. @TalesMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
My mission is to do Good Marketing, to make marketing Human, to make marketing a FORCE for GOOD – characterized by service, empathy, transparency and to make a meaningful difference to the people we care about AND to their customers too
Thank you for coming on this journey of Marketing Transformation with me. Let’s make marketing human again.
- Building a Storybrand by Donald Miller
- Connecting with Your Ideal Client – E009
- An Eagle Like Focus on Your Ideal Client – E007
- Parrots, Almonds and Your Ideal Client – E004
- Overview of the Transformational Marketing Map
- Tales of Marketing Transformation Facebook Group – Join the Community here (Free but Priceless!)
- The InnovaBuzz Podcast – our other podcast on Innovation and Marketing, with awesome guests each week.