What can we learn about a marketing recipe from bread making?
Imagine if you had a recipe for marketing, GOOD marketing, and you could follow that recipe all the time, then rinse and repeat? How would that be?
On today’s episode, I’m going to share with you an idea on systemizing your marketing, systemizing GOOD marketing, giving it structure, a recipe if you like.
Marketing is a lot like bread making – people have evolved the recipe, beginning from a plant in a field, all the way through the various steps of the process to ultimately developing an exceptional result – a delicious food.
This recipe, developed over a multitude of generations and multitude of years, has evolved and we can build on that framework (rather than re-invent it!) with our own ideas and experiments.
That way, we can do GOOD marketing AND make it uniquely ours.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
- Bread making is a lot like marketing. It is an apparently magical combination of recipe, technique, skill and luck. There are many factors involved that can’t be seen, such as the microbial yeast organisms responsible for the sourdough and that coax the dough to “rise” and give the bread its structure. Other factors that influence the outcome are the temperature of your kitchen, the nature of the flour and other added ingredients, the conditions of your oven and many more.
- People have evolved marketing over generations and conducted thousands of experiments to see what worked, what didn’t, and put together various systems that are around today. GOOD marketing – marketing that is based on human connection, is a lot like bread making. There is a framework:
- We have a starter – a need that is unfulfilled;
- We have a pre-mix – an idea to address that need;
- We have a potential customer – the consumer of the bread;
- The idea goes through a combination of refinement and time until it’s ready for consumption;
- Once there is a solid, robust framework in place, you can experiment with your marketing, to make it uniquely your own. So that your marketing is about building and sustaining relationships with the people we serve; with the people we care about.
- Ultimately marketing is all about how we build relationships with the people we serve; its about helping people achieve; about providing opportunities to solve their problems.
Another Photo I like (just to break up the text!)
My mission is to do Good Marketing, to make marketing Human, to make marketing a FORCE for GOOD – characterized by service, empathy, transparency and to make a meaningful difference to the people we care about AND to their customers too
Thank you for coming on this journey of Marketing Transformation with me. Let’s make marketing human again.
- Josey Baker: “Josey Baker Bread” (affiliate link)
- The TRANSFORMATIONAL MARKETING FRAMEWORK
- Tales of Marketing Transformation Facebook Group – Join the Community here (Free but Priceless!)
- The InnovaBuzz Podcast – our other podcast on Innovation and Marketing, with awesome guests each week.