When you have landed a guest spot on a podcast, how do you ensure you are an awesome, guest, that adds value and will be welcomed back?
In this episode, I’ll give you some tips to enable you to show up as your best and be the guest everyone wants to have on their show.
Listen to the podcast to learn more.
Listen to the PodcastResearch the show before your appearance. Look at the social media profiles of hosts, and listen to previous episodes to make sure you know what topics are likely to be discussed in your episode. @TalesofMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
Show Notes – Podcasting: Being an Awesome Podcast Guest
When you are a guest on a podcast, it is your responsibility to do everything possible to make the experience valuable and enjoyable for the host and their listeners. The following tips will help you ensure that you not only get invited back again but also provide value during your time spent in their studio.
- Detailed Preparation
- Preparation is key for any podcast guest.
- Research the show before your appearance. Look at the social media profiles of hosts, and listen to previous episodes to make sure you know what topics are likely to be discussed in your episode.
- Be prepared for any questions that might be asked based on what you heard in previous episodes. Listening to previous episodes is really important so that you’re familiar with the format of the show and its pacing.
- Prepare some responses to common questions like “What’s your story?”, “Where are you from originally?” or “How did you get into this industry/position/career?”. You’ll want to have a natural conversation, so don’t script these answers. Just be ready so you know what you’ll want to say.
- Check out the host’s social media profiles. You’ll want to get familiar with their work so it feels more natural when you’re speaking on the show. Also, take note of recent projects they have promoted or appeared in as this could be an important part of your conversation. If you can bring along anything complementary for them and their audience (for example, a valuable download related to your topic) have that ready too!
- Learn about the show, the host and the audience.
- Learn something about the show and its audience. Find out who their audience are, what are their needs and how you can best serve them with your gifts and your talents and your knowledge.
- The host’s website can give you quite a bit of information about who their ideal clients are and what problems the host solves for them. What else would add value to them from your own base of expertise?
- It’s all about serving the audience really well and with your own special spin on it. The more you know what they need, the more value you can bring to the table and show them how you solve that problem for them.
- Find out how to pronounce the host’s name and their audience’s name.
- Find out how to pronounce the host’s name so that you’re pronouncing their name correctly each time. Similarly, learn how the host would like it said.
- Finding out what they call their audience (community), then connect by using that community’s name too!
There are three quick tips for you on how to get on a show and showcase yourself as really connecting with the audience and also showcase your talents and your insights and knowledge in the best light possible. And a bonus tip, be yourself and have fun!
My mission is to do Good Marketing, to make marketing Human, to make marketing a FORCE for GOOD – characterized by service, empathy, transparency and to make a meaningful difference to the people we care about AND to their customers too
Thank you for coming on this journey of Marketing Transformation with me. Let’s make marketing human again.Learn something about the show and its audience. Find out who their audience are, what are their needs, and how you can best serve them with your gifts and your talents and your knowledge. @TalesofMarketing #TalesofMarketingTransformation Click To Tweet
Watch the video
- Become a Podcast Rockstar – audio course
- Podcast Guesting Playbook
- Tales of Marketing Transformation Facebook Group – Join the Community here (Free but Priceless!)
- The InnovaBuzz Podcast – our other podcast on Innovation and Marketing, with awesome guests each week.